1. I would like to apply for the program, but I am not able to stay at the lab for as long as 8 weeks.
- The minimum tenure for the U.S. Air Force Research Lab Summer Faculty Fellowship Program is 8 weeks; the maximum tenure is 12 weeks.
2. Is it possible for participants to change their proposed start date after they have accepted the fellowship?
- Yes, however, participants must first obtain approval from their lab advisor, and the advisor must send an email to Systems Plus (email@example.com) to confirm the approval.
3. Is it possible for participants to change their number of weeks after they have accepted the fellowship?
- Yes, however, participants must first obtain approval from their lab advisor. This request must then be sent to Systems Plus (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will forward the request to the AFOSR for final official approval before the number of weeks can be changed.
4. Is it possible for participants to leave the lab for conferences, teaching engagements, or vacation during their tenure?
- According to the U.S. Air Force Research Lab Summer Faculty Fellowship Program Terms and Conditions, “The term of appointment can be 8 to 12 continuous weeks between May and August 2016.” Any requests for exceptions must be made in writing and must be approved by the lab advisor, the AFOSR, and Systems Plus. Participants should not make arrangements to be away from the lab until they have received official approval from all of the above. Failure to follow these guidelines could result in a forfeit of the fellowship.
5. Is it possible to work a partial week or to leave the lab early?
- Stipend payments are based on full, 5-day week. If extenuating circumstances require a mid-week start or end of the fellowship, the lab advisor must approve of any overtime or weekend work which might be necessary to make up the missing hours.
6. Are graduate students permitted to carry out research at the lab unaccompanied by their professor?
- No, graduate students are not permitted to carry out research at the lab without the presence of their professor.
7. What should I do if I have accepted the fellowship but realize I will not be able to carry out the fellowship?
- Please contact Systems Plus (email@example.com) and your lab advisor as soon as possible as your slot will be open for another applicant to participate in the program.